What the July 28, 2026 policy change actually unlocks β and the three traps private property owners keep missing.
On July 28, 2026, the government removed the 15-month wait-out period for private property owners buying non-subsidised HDB resale flats without an HDB loan. The announcement was brief. The implications are not.
Within 48 hours, my phone lit up with versions of the same question: "Does this mean I can sell my condo and buy an HDB flat immediately?"
The short answer is yes β but only on one very specific track. And most owners I speak to are conflating three separate policy layers into one emotional decision. This article is an attempt to separate them.
The policy change created two distinct pathways. Understanding which one you are on determines everything: your timeline, your stamp duty exposure, your financing options, and whether you need interim housing.
| Track | Wait-out period | Financing | Grants | Flat type |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Track A β Non-subsidised resale | 0 months | Bank loan or cash only | None | Any resale flat |
| Track B β Subsidised / HDB loan | 30 months | HDB concessionary loan | Available | Any resale, BTO, EC |
Track A is what just changed. If you sell your private property today and buy a non-subsidised resale HDB flat using a bank loan or pure cash, you can complete both transactions in the same quarter.
Track B is unchanged. If you want an HDB loan (currently 2.60% vs bank rates from ~1.40%), CPF housing grants, or any subsidised flat including BTO or EC, the 30-month wait-out still applies in full.
This is not a minor distinction. It is the entire game. I have spoken to owners who assumed the 15-month removal meant they could now apply for a BTO immediately. They cannot. The 30-month clock for BTO applications is untouched.
The policy change lands in a market that is already shifting in ways that matter for downgraders.
The HDB Resale Price Index fell 0.3% in Q2 2026 to 202.7, marking the first back-to-back quarterly decline in nearly seven years. Resale volume softened to 6,268 transactions, down 10.2% quarter-on-quarter.
Meanwhile, private home prices rose 0.5% in Q2 2026 β slower than Q1's 0.9%, but still positive. The gap between private and public housing prices is widening again, which is exactly what makes downgrading attractive on paper.
But here is the paradox: million-dollar HDB resale transactions actually rose to 491 in Q2 2026 alone, bringing the first-half total to 902 β surpassing all of 1H 2025.
What this tells us: the broad HDB resale index is softening due to supply (13,484 flats reaching MOP in 2026), but premium locations in mature estates are still commanding strong prices. If you are downgrading from a suburban condo to a central HDB flat, your cost savings may be smaller than you expect.
If you buy an HDB flat before selling your private property, you pay 20% ABSD upfront as a Singapore citizen. This is remitted if you sell the private property within six months of the HDB purchase.
"Remitted" does not mean "waived." It means the money leaves your account first, and you get it back later β provided you hit the deadline.
If you miss the six-month window, IRAS claws back the full 20% plus interest. In a cooling private market where some segments are taking 4β6 months to find a buyer, this is not a theoretical risk. The RCR (Rest of Central Region) private prices fell 1.4% in Q2 2026, and the OCR slipped 0.2%. If your condo is in a segment where buyers are already scarce, betting on a six-month sale is a leveraged bet you may not want to make.
The safer sequence β sell private first, then buy HDB β eliminates ABSD exposure entirely. The trade-off is interim housing: either a short-term rental or staying with family. At the Q1 2026 median HDB rental rate of S$2,600 for a 4-room flat, a three-month gap costs roughly S$7,800. That is expensive, but it is a known cost. ABSD clawback is an unknown catastrophic cost.
The wait-out period removal has nothing to do with SSD. If you bought your private property after July 4, 2025, you face SSD of up to 16% if you sell within 12 months, 12% within 24 months, 8% within 36 months, and 4% within 48 months.
For properties bought between March 11, 2017 and July 3, 2025, the rates are 12%, 8%, and 4% for the first three years respectively.
I have seen owners do the math on their HDB target, their bank loan eligibility, their CPF OA balance β and completely forget to check when they bought their current condo. A S$1.5 million sale with 12% SSD is S$180,000 gone. That single line item can turn a "smart downgrade" into a break-even shuffle.
Before you even think about listing, check your purchase date. The SSD clock is indifferent to policy announcements.
This is the most common point of confusion I encounter.
If you choose Track A (0-month wait-out), you must use a bank loan or cash. You cannot take an HDB concessionary loan. You cannot claim CPF housing grants. Both bank and HDB loans cap at 75% LTV β the difference isn't in how much you can borrow, but in the rate and the grants you give up on Track A.
At current rates, this may actually work in your favour. Bank fixed-rate packages start from ~1.40%, while the HDB concessionary loan is 2.60%. On a S$600,000 loan over 25 years, the difference is roughly S$330 per month. Over the loan tenure, that compounds to meaningful savings.
But if you need the full 25% downpayment to come from CPF without the bank's 5% cash-only requirement, or if you want the CPF housing grants to reduce your cash outlay, you are on Track B β and the 30-month wait-out applies regardless of the July 28 announcement.
You cannot mix the tracks. You cannot say "I'll use a bank loan to avoid the wait-out, then refinance to HDB later." HDB loans are only available at the point of purchase under specific eligibility criteria. Once you commit to a bank loan on a resale flat, you stay on that loan unless you refinance with another bank.
The removal of the 15-month wait-out is not a stimulus. It is a recalibration. It recognises that some private owners β particularly retirees, empty-nesters, and those who bought at the 2021β2022 peak β want to right-size without being forced into a 15-month holding pattern.
But the policy does not change the underlying market conditions:
The owners who should act now are those with a clear financial runway: no SSD exposure, sufficient cash or CPF for a 25% downpayment, and a private property in a liquid segment where a 2β3 month sale is realistic.
The owners who should wait are those relying on HDB loans or grants, those facing significant SSD, or those in private segments where transaction volumes have already thinned.
If you are on Track A and decide to proceed, the recommended sequence is almost always: sell first, then buy.
The only exception is if you have a firm buyer for your private property β not an expression of interest, not a viewing schedule, but a signed Option to Purchase β before you commit to the HDB purchase. Even then, the ABSD remission clock starts the day you complete the HDB purchase, not the day you sign the OTP.
For most owners, the 3β4 months of interim rental is a reasonable insurance premium against a S$150,000β300,000 ABSD clawback.
The 15-month wait-out removal is a genuine policy shift that unlocks immediate mobility for a specific subset of private property owners. It is not a blanket permission slip, and it does not eliminate the other guardrails β ABSD, SSD, financing restrictions β that make right-sizing a multi-variable decision.
If you are considering this move, run the numbers on all three tracks: sale proceeds after SSD, purchase costs including BSD and ABSD exposure, and financing costs over your intended holding period.
If the numbers work, the policy window is open. If they do not, the 0-month wait-out is irrelevant β and waiting may be the smarter trade.
Rather than tell you what your numbers should look like, there are two tools built for exactly this situation β a two-minute readiness diagnostic, and a full right-size calculator that works out net cash freed, monthly savings, and the safer sequence for your case. Both run in your browser, nothing you enter is sent anywhere, and no email is required.
They live in their own section on this site, not inside this article, so you can return to them any time without re-reading. Start with the diagnostic β it tells you honestly whether the calculator's numbers are worth acting on yet.
If the diagnostic puts you in the two higher tiers, the calculator's numbers are worth acting on β get a proper valuation and speak to a mortgage broker before you list anything. If you land in the lower tiers, that's not a "no," it's a "not yet" β most of the gaps (SSD holding period, cash buffer, sale readiness) resolve with time, not with a faster transaction. The wait-out removal doesn't change that underlying math, and no calculator can substitute for a conversation about your specific property, CPF position, and timeline.
If you've run the numbers and want a second pair of eyes on your specific situation, reach out directly.
Message Jordan on WhatsApp